Monument’s Musical Update: Will Monument’s Musical Reputation be Ruined due to Miscommunications?

Sydney Keyes, Reporter

It’s plastered all over local newspapers and making headlines-and no, it’s not grinding again-but Monument’s current musical situation. Story has it, that over the summer janitors trashed thousands of dollars in props and equipment. Talk on the street says that musical director and art teacher Linea Mace had been told to remove what was stored in the pit and backstage and had promised to make arrangements to have it removed and failed to do so. However, does that really give officials the right to destroy it? What will become of this year’s musical?

“I think it’s ridiculous, not only will it affect this year’s show but it will have an impact on next year’s performance and probably those after that too” says senior Charlotte Friefeld who has participated in musical every year.

This year’s spring musical Into the Woods was announced a few weeks ago causing a stir for all past and future musical participants. The show, having a minimal set and multiple lead roles as well as supporting roles, made it a desirable contender. The directors plan to push this year’s performance earlier into the year, so it does not interfere with spring sports. Hopefully this will allow for more students to participate in musical and not have to choose between the musical or a spring sport, a dilemma known to cause trouble in the past.

“I think that they are trying to make musical as appealing as possible to get the most people to do it to make up for there being no set this year, already lots of people say that they aren’t going to do it” says Emma Skakel who last year played one of Reno’s angels in Anything Goes.

Mace, the musical director, chose not to comment for this story.  This year will be a new challenge that the cast and crew hope to find a way to overcome.

“What happened was tragic. Monument musicals are known for their beautiful sets, but we will prevail and continue putting on the best musicals in the county” says Caroline Mack, an upcoming senior.

• Monument’s Musical Update: Will Monument’s Musical Reputation be Ruined due to Miscommunications?

Arts & Entertainment

P&E Class Withstands Cold Temperatures

Breaking News

Seniors Push Through Senioritis to Get Ready for AP Calc Test

• Editorials

iPhone’s Short Existence

Berkshires & Beyond

Straight to the Top

Arts & Entertainment

Monument Falls to Hampshire

• Breaking News

DOW Surpasses 20K

• Berkshires & Beyond

Boy Scouts Announce Controversial New Policy

Arts & Entertainment

Bartlett Finishes in Top Three

Arts & Entertainment

Bartlett Claims Third in First GS Ski Race

Berkshires & Beyond

McLaughlin Decides on Williston Northampton School