My Monument Mountain Musical Experience: After two years it’s time to bid farewell to Monument’s musicals

Victoria Costello

Victoria Costello

Caroline Mack, Reporter

Last weekend I stepped on stage to perform my last show at Monument Mountain. The end of this past spring musical was a very bittersweet experience for me. It was a rainy Sunday afternoon—our last performance of “Into the Woods”. As I was setting my props, a nostalgic feeling came over me. It seemed like yesterday we were all getting giddy about auditioning for musical, eagerly waiting for the cast list to go up, and finding ways to get through tedious rehearsals without killing one another. I just couldn’t believe it was all over. After making new friends and creating wonderful memories—it was all about to end.

I came to Monument Mountain last year. Two years ago, I saw the school’s production of All Shook Up and knew this was the school I wanted to attend. When I shadowed later that year, I was taken around the school. That day I was brought into an art room where I met Ms. Mace. When I walked into her class she turned to me and immediately told me “You have to be in our spring musicals!” I had no idea who this lady was yet she knew me and after seeing All Shook Up I was thrilled she asked…or, well, told.

I started my first year at Monument and auditioned for their spring musical, Anything Goes. After callbacks there were some more callbacks and then some more, but eventually the cast list was revealed and I got the role of Erma. I was shocked that I got such a large roll. I couldn’t wait to share the stage with such talented kids. Anything Goes was great for a number of reasons. The show was so much fun, but the experience also allowed me to create friendships with so many wonderful people.

Fast forward to this year. Half-way through the school year Ms. Mace announced this year’s spring musical: Into the Woods. I couldn’t wait for the musical to start—I even started preparing for my audition months before it happened. During auditions there was so much talent that I couldn’t imagine how Ms. Mace was going to cast the whole show…but she did! A lot of new students came out and auditioned for musical this year, which was fantastic! After the amount of seniors who left last year I was nervous that we had lost a significant amount of talent—yet the underclassman brought it.

After the first month of rehearsals I had my doubts about the show. Stephen Sondheim was notorious for his dissonant harmonies, wacky tempos and difficult lyrics. This year’s show has definitely been the most difficult show I’ve ever been in. I played the Witch. She had some of the most challenging songs, scenes, and character. The hardest part of playing the Witch was that the only time she showed vulnerability was through her songs. Singing is hard but add acting and an ugly mask into the mix and it reaches a new level of difficulty. Throughout the process I grew tremendously as an actress through my challenging character.

I made great friends through the spring musical, it’s a good thing too because we all spent an awful lot of time together. Into the Woods had many ups and many downs, as all shows do: tedious rehearsals, a million different directors all wanting different things and even tension between the two casts, but at the end of the day all of this meant nothing. We worked so hard and had a weekend of spectacular performances. This show has truly become a part of me. The Into the Woods’ cast has become a family to me and I’m going to miss them like crazy next year. I always encourage people to find a way to participate in the spring musical. It’s a place where you can escape the stress of school—a place where people can express themselves without judgment. Monument’s Spring Musical is an experience I’ll never forget. I wish all of my fellow cast members luck with their future productions!

• My Monument Mountain Musical Experience: After two years it’s time to bid farewell to Monument’s musicals

Arts & Entertainment

P&E Class Withstands Cold Temperatures

Breaking News

Seniors Push Through Senioritis to Get Ready for AP Calc Test

• Editorials

iPhone’s Short Existence

Berkshires & Beyond

Straight to the Top

Arts & Entertainment

Monument Falls to Hampshire

• Breaking News

DOW Surpasses 20K

• Berkshires & Beyond

Boy Scouts Announce Controversial New Policy

Arts & Entertainment

Bartlett Finishes in Top Three

Arts & Entertainment

Bartlett Claims Third in First GS Ski Race

Berkshires & Beyond

McLaughlin Decides on Williston Northampton School