Single of the Week: Jamie Foxx releases the first single off his upcoming album

Julien McKee, Entertainment Editor

The Title: Jamie Foxx-”Baby’s In Love (feat. Kid Ink)”

Released: May 2, 2014

iTunes Price: $1.29

Genre: R&B/Pop

The Breakdown: Jamie Foxx has it all.  He has managed to succeed at absolutely everything in the entertainment industry ever since he first gained fame as a R&B singer in the early 1990s.  Since then, Foxx has had his own hit TV show, bestselling standup comedy specials, platinum albums and successful movies.  He also won an Academy Award for Best Male Actor for his role as Ray Charles in the 2004 classic film Ray. However, Foxx has struggled to find his niche in the age of the 2000s as far as making music goes.  His latest effort, Best Night of My Life, was filled with lackluster features by idiotic mainstream rappers such as Soulja Boy, Wiz Khalifa and Rick Ross.  It was underwhelming.  Ever since his 1994 classic Peep This, Foxx has lacked a hit album, which he really has not needed due to the success of his comedy, TV, and film careers.  Foxx’s anticipated new album Hollywood: A Story of a Dozen Roses is set to be released on May 18th; “Baby’s In Love” is the lead single.

Ever since his hit albums of the early 1990s, Foxx has strayed from his strengths.  Foxx has a beautiful voice and amazing lyrical ability; which helped make him a premier R&B/Soul singer.  Ever since then, Foxx has tried to make more uptempo music for the clubs.  This had its successes and pitfalls.  In “Baby’s In Love,” Foxx does a great job in making a catchy chorus that really shows the beauty and range in his voice.  The song also has a nice, uptempo beat, one that will be popular in clubs but does not fit Foxx’s voice that well.  The rapper Kid Ink is featured near the end of the song and disappoints, almost ruining the whole song.  His lyrics are stupid, and he sounds a bit stoned.  In all, this is a catchy song that will generate a lot of airtime in clubs and on the radio.  However, Foxx could have done better.  He tries too hard to be like Chris Brown, Jeremih and all the other popular R&B artists today instead of sticking to what he knows best.  I hope Foxx does better on his upcoming album.

Rating: 6.5/10

• Single of the Week: Jamie Foxx releases the first single off his upcoming album

Breaking News

On Display in the Library

Breaking News

One Page at a Time

Breaking News

Principal Marianne Young Retiring

Local News

11 Questions with Emma Wilber

• Breaking News

Civics’ Students Mock Accident Rescheduled

Local News

Q&A with Molly Stephen

Editorials

A Bittersweet Ending

Arts & Entertainment

Q & A with Elinor Cherin

• Breaking News

The Eastern Conference Finals

• Local News

The Hunt for the hardware