Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica

Monument students passionate about The Office

Steve Carell as Michael Scott on The Office

Photo courtesy of NBC

Photo courtesy of NBC

John Mack, Maroon Tribune Reporter

“Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.”- Michael Scott.

The final episode of The Office brought in 5.4 million viewers to see Michael Scott make another dry but funny joke for the last time. Although the show has come to an end, Michael Scott and Dunder Mifflin’s legacy lives on.  

For those not in the know, The Office is a comedic TV show that aired on NBC for nine seasons. The show takes place in Scranton, Pennsylvania in an office complex. Dunder Mifflin is a paper company and their workers are filmed by a documentary crew who follows them, gets to know them better, and discovers their secrets in and out of the workplace. Steve Carell, who plays Michael Scott, is the main character of the show. Michael Scott has never left Scranton, and has spent his entire career as a paper salesman at Dunder Mifflin. John Krasiniski, Jenna Fischer, Rainn Wilson, and Ed Helms are also big name stars in the show.  The TV show originated from The Office U.K. which was written by the British comedian Ricky Gervais. Both The Office and The Office U.K. are equally funny.  

On May 16, 2013 fans said goodbye to Dwight, Michael, Jim, Pam, and all the other characters. A few years later Netflix brought hope back for all the fans of The Office by releasing the entire series. Countless hours of binge watching The Office brought back the obsession people had for the show. At Monument Mountain, countless students spend their study halls watching the show rather than paying attention to the work they meant, but forgot, to do. The Office is such an addictive show that it’s hard for students at Monument to take a break from watching episode after episode. Walking through the library and study halls, students will be watching the show on their laptops or phones. I admit that I have an addiction for the show. Watching the entire series for a third time, there are moments when the show has distracted me from my school work. Ethan Mazursky, a junior at Monument, has watched the entire series countless times, and even dressed up as Dwight for Halloween this year. “Dwight by far is my favorite character on the show. He’s funny, but also weird which makes him such a great character. My favorite Dwight quote is ‘Always the Padawan, never the Jedi.’ That quote makes me laugh every time,” he stated. As second period ends, students scramble to finish up their episode and come up with an excuse on why they didn’t complete their homework for their next class.

Michael Scott may have left the TV world, but he hasn’t left our hearts. “I feel like all my kids grew up, and then they married each other. It’s every parent’s dream,” Michael Scott reflected in the final episode. As Jim, Pam, Dwight, and all the stars of the show walk out of the office building, the love for Dunder Mifflin at Monument and around the world remains strong.

• Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica

Breaking News

On Display in the Library

• Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica

Breaking News

One Page at a Time

• Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica

Breaking News

Principal Marianne Young Retiring

• Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica

Local News

11 Questions with Emma Wilber

• Breaking News

Civics’ Students Mock Accident Rescheduled

• Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica

Local News

Q&A with Molly Stephen

• Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica

Editorials

A Bittersweet Ending

• Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica

Arts & Entertainment

Q & A with Elinor Cherin

• Breaking News

The Eastern Conference Finals

• Local News

The Hunt for the hardware

Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica