On Display in the Library

Inside the creative mind of Monument’s Librarian

Staunton+makes+one+last+library+display+for+seniors%21+
Staunton makes one last library display for seniors!

Addie Mclaughlin, Maroon Tribune Reporter

When someone says “let’s go to the library” in high school, you would automatically think that they would want to study for a test  or do a research project. Here at Monument Mountain Regional High school the library is filled with students buzzing about their weekends, but it is also filled with young scholastic learners. Monument’s library is thought of as the “heart” of the school, and this wonderful place is ran by the one and only Ms. Kara Staunton.

Staunton puts together programs, activities, lesson plans and many more interesting elements that make the library such a special place. She also puts up beautiful displays for each holiday. Staunton gets her ideas for these displays through a process of brainstorming. She starts off on the website Pinterest and enters keywords. For example, when she was creating the March Madness display she simply put in “March Madness library display” into the keyword search bar. As soon as she hit the search button, thousands of creative ideas and pictures popped up onto her MacBook screen.

“So after we decide what we want we go onto Amazon [where she has a school account] and start to shop,” explained Staunton. “The school gives me a total amount of money at the beginning of the year and I get to use that amount throughout the school year.” Searching and digging through Amazon she finally finds what she is looking for, the ingredients to make the final masterpiece display. Once she has completed shopping, the two library helpers, Molly Stephen and myself and their trusty assistant, Emily Rada, will do the grunt work. “Yeah, Addie and Molly usually make me do all the painting cause the two of them are lazy and they refer to themselves as ‘The Captains’ of the library,” says Emily, laughing. “I’m the captain now” says Molly as she walks by Emily jokingly. Next, we paint signs, decorate posters and pull books for the display. After the materials arrive in the mail we hang basketball lanterns and the posters we have made and stand up books.

The current display celebrates spring. It features homemade clouds that Mrs Staunton made at her house. “I made them by blowing up some balloons and simply taping them together with some duct tape, then finally I covered them in paper mache and painted them white,” explains Staunton as we started to hang them from the ceiling. The display is a simple yet creative spin on a spring setting.     

To celebrate the graduating seniors, Staunton is creating an array of mortar boards with maroon and white tassels. While the library has been closed for the last two weeks due to AP testing, seniors can look forward to a celebration of their graduation with this fun new display. Check it out next week!

• On Display in the Library

Breaking News

On Display in the Library

• On Display in the Library

Breaking News

One Page at a Time

• On Display in the Library

Breaking News

Principal Marianne Young Retiring

• On Display in the Library

Local News

11 Questions with Emma Wilber

• Breaking News

Civics’ Students Mock Accident Rescheduled

• On Display in the Library

Local News

Q&A with Molly Stephen

• On Display in the Library

Editorials

A Bittersweet Ending

• On Display in the Library

Arts & Entertainment

Q & A with Elinor Cherin

• Breaking News

The Eastern Conference Finals

• Local News

The Hunt for the hardware

On Display in the Library