Environmental Action’s Questionable Future

BNRC Forges Ahead Despite Trump's Environmental Policies

A BNRC trail in Lanesboro

A BNRC trail in Lanesboro

A BNRC trail in Lanesboro

Silas Davison, Maroon Tribune Reporter

On October 19, 2015, Trump tweeted: “It’s really cold outside, they are calling it a major freeze, weeks ahead of normal. Man, we could use a big fat dose of global warming!”

It looks like Trump is going to get that “big fat dose of global warming” that he asked for. On Thursday, March 16, Trump and his administration released a proposed budget plan for 2018 that would cut the EPA’s budget by $2.6 billion, getting rid of 3,200 jobs. The EPA, whose mission is to protect human health and the environment, would struggle to keep up with their responsibilities. And if that is not bad enough, Trump plans to cut an additional $10.1 billion from the two leading agencies on international climate work—the State Department and U.S. Agency of International Development (USAID). Because of such drastic cuts, environmental groups need to find a way that they can both protect the environment, and be able to pay for it. In Berkshire County Massachusetts one group has been doing this for years.

In Pittsfield, Massachusetts, next to Patrick’s Pub on Park Square, is the Berkshire Natural Resources Council (BNRC) headquarters. The entrance does not look like much, a plain green door with a small sticker reading BNRC sticks to the bottom left corner of the window pane. You might think the office is underwhelming, and you would be right to assume so. On the outside, and actually the inside too, the whole place is kind of dumpy and cold, and the internet is spotty. Yet what the headquarters lacks in luxurious office space, it makes up for with a dedicated staff and an impressive track record. According to the group’s website, BNRC currently owns 52 properties throughout Berkshire county. These properties are maintained for activities like hiking, picnicking and kayaking. This seems like quite a large undertaking for a small office in Pittsfield that employs a mere eight people, but with dedication and helpful volunteers they are able to make it work. Even with all BNRC has accomplished they are striving to do more.

The council is currently working on a project called ‘The High Road’, which has been inspired by trails such as the Camino De Santiago in Spain, and the Coast to Coast trail in England. ‘The High Road’ will be a network of trails spanning all of Berkshire county. The purpose, according to the BNRC website, is “to connect nature and people. To link conservation lands to each other for wildlife, clean water, and unspoiled views. To open trails for lunchtime walkers and holiday hikers alike. So you don’t have to get back into your car to go find a place to dine, get a cup of hot coffee, or spend the night if you wish.”

This all sounds great, but how does the council pay for all of this? Well, according to Narain Schroeder, Director of Land Conservation, the projects are paid for by private grants and memberships. The projects are “driven by need and want,” Schroeder says. People, both rich and poor, realize they want a hiking trail and they give the organization the funds they need to complete these projects.

If environmental work is to continue on the scale that is needed, funds will have to be obtained through private donors. Is this possible? Only time will tell.

Citations:

“30 of Donald Trump’s Wildest Quotes.” CBS News. CBS Interactive, 21 Mar. 2016. Web. 16 Mar. 2017.

Holley, Peter, Abby Ohlheiser, and Amy B. Wang. “The Doomsday Clock Just Advanced, ‘thanks to Trump’: It’s Now Just 2½ Minutes to ‘midnight.’.” The Washington Post. WP Company, 26 Jan. 2017. Web. 16 Mar. 2017.

“Winners and Losers in Trump’s First Budget Plan.” Home – CBS News 8 – San Diego, CA News Station – KFMB Channel 8. N.p., 16 Mar. 2017. Web. 16 Mar. 2017.

Hirji, Zahra, Sabrina Shankman, Phil McKenna, David Hasemyer, Marianne Lavelle, Bob Berwyn, Marianne Lavelle , Zahra Hirji, Sabrina Shankman, Nicholas Kusnetz , Georgina Gustin, Neela Banerjee, John H. Cushman Jr., Marianne Lavelle, and John H. Cushman Jr. “U.S. International Climate Involvement Would Essentially End under New Trump Budget.” Inside Climate News. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Mar. 2017.

• Environmental Action’s Questionable Future

Local News

11 Questions with Emma Wilber

• Breaking News

Civics’ Students Mock Accident Rescheduled

Local News

Q&A with Molly Stephen

Editorials

A Bittersweet Ending

Arts & Entertainment

Q & A with Elinor Cherin

• Breaking News

The Eastern Conference Finals

• Local News

The Hunt for the hardware

Arts & Entertainment

The Reasons Why Not to Watch 13 Reasons Why

• Arts & Entertainment

Monument takes on the Big Apple

Berkshires & Beyond

(ramble)WILD time