Spartans Remain Undefeated

The+Spartans+warming+up+before+practice.+
The Spartans warming up before practice.

Matt Walsh, Maroon Tribune Editor

It has now been 29 meets since the Spartan Girls Swim team was defeated. On Tuesday, December 13th both the Boys and Girls swim teams improved to 2-0 on the season.

Both teams competed against Mt. Anthony. The boys won by a score of 99-48 and the girls outscored the Patriots 116-38. “We had a lot of close races; we managed to win and the new swimmers did a phenomenal job pushing through difficult events,” stated senior captain Emma Wilber. Last week Wilber was selected as a member of the Super 7, a group of the seven best swimmers in Western Mass.

In Wilber’s high school career, she has only lost one meet. During her freshman year the team was defeated by Hoosac Valley. Since then the Lady Spartans have dominated their competition. They have been Berkshire North champions every year of Wilber’s career. “We have a lot riding on our shoulders since we are the defending champions and everyone wants to beat us,” Wilber added.

The Spartan Boys increased their winning streak to 32-0. The last time they lost was four seasons ago, when the current seniors were eighth graders. “The streak reflects all the hard work we put in during the off season. Most of us have been swimming for the majority of our lives and we have a diverse group of seniors who add up to make a really great team,” said captain Mazy Moeini.

Moeini, along with fellow seniors Ben Wyatt, Nick Gray and Brandon Louison, will captain the boys team this season. “All the current captains have a mutual bond from being on the Snappers swim team. We have all been swimming together since freshman year or even before that,” Moeini added.

For Nick Gray, the most important part of this season is continuing with the success they have had in previous seasons . “All of us want to go undefeated for the fourth year and have a perfect high school record,” he stated. “We also want as many people to make Western Mass as possible,” In order for a swimmer to qualify for Western Mass he/she must do so individually. The only other sports where this is the case are cross-country and track. “It’s hard when you actually have to actually qualify for it, you can’t just go because one person made it.” added Gray.

The next swim meet is scheduled for 6:45 pm Wednesday, December 21st at Simon’s Rock. Both teams will be looking to extend their winning streaks and qualify for the Western Mass meet.

• Spartans Remain Undefeated

Breaking News

On Display in the Library

• Spartans Remain Undefeated

Breaking News

One Page at a Time

• Spartans Remain Undefeated

Breaking News

Principal Marianne Young Retiring

• Spartans Remain Undefeated

Local News

11 Questions with Emma Wilber

• Breaking News

Civics’ Students Mock Accident Rescheduled

• Spartans Remain Undefeated

Local News

Q&A with Molly Stephen

• Spartans Remain Undefeated

Editorials

A Bittersweet Ending

• Spartans Remain Undefeated

Arts & Entertainment

Q & A with Elinor Cherin

• Breaking News

The Eastern Conference Finals

• Local News

The Hunt for the hardware

Spartans Remain Undefeated