The Hunt for the hardware

Spring season off to a slow start

Jared Henry, Maroon Tribune Reporter

Finally, after a long wait, the Monument Mountain Spartans jog down to their home field where their hard work is realized. It’s game day at Monument and the Spartans get their first shot to take down the reigning Western Mass champs, the Wahconah Warriors. The stage has been set, Monument Mountain Spartans versus the Wahconah Warriors. Last year, the game ended with the Spartans suffering a devastating 2-1 loss in the Western Mass quarterfinals. Now, their chance for revenge and a spotlight to show the whole county what type of baseball the newly built Spartans team contains. Starting pitchers remain the same, Jared Henry and Will Genoway take the hill, both well respected pitchers in the county. The first inning goes by and the Spartans show just how bad they wanted this match up breaking out to a 4-0 lead. The Warriors couldn’t back from this deficit while finding themselves only having one hit after a full seven  innings of baseball go by. The game ends with a final score of 5-2, Monument coming out on top.

After several games had been rained out, Monument gets their second game under way with the Wahconah Tournament sitting ahead facing off against the rival Hoosac Valley Hurricanes. Just like the first game, Monument was able to hold onto the lead and took home their second win of the season with another 5-2 victory. The next tournament play opponent was a rematch with the Wahconah Warriors who also won their first game. It seemed as if all of the fight inside the Spartans had been utilized in their first game because they we were not able to score any runs and were discouraged by a 9-0 loss.

Up next, back to the Hurricanes, but this time on Hoosac’s home turf. Dylan Tinker took the hill for this game to prove his place on the team as a young sophomore. Another quiet game for the Monument bats held them back from maintaining a winning record as they fell to the Hurricanes 5-3. As the losses began to mount,  the once astounding self esteem of the team slowly degraded as well.

It’s time to forget about the losses holding the Spartans back and get on a roll and win some games. Last week in the Lenox vs. Monument on the backfield at Monument was a momentous game for the Spartans and Millionaires alike. Both teams in desperate need of a win but only one would prevail. Through six innings, the Spartans and Millionaires were tied in a duel at six a piece until shortstop Nate Cormier broke the game open. He mashed a ball into the left center field gap where he was able to circle the bases and drive in two runs. A two run shot was only the start to a five run sixth that put Monument up 10-5. Cormier was able to go out and shut down Lenox’s bats for one more inning as the Spartans clinched the win.

The Hunt for the hardware