Does Participating in Musical Come at a Price? Is the intense rehearsal schedule too much and a cause for student’s grades to drop?

Sydney Keyes, Maroon Tribune Reporter

There is no question that musical is a huge commitment – just look at the end result. Each year, Monument Mountain puts on a fantastic, one of a kind, out of this world production that leaves the rest of the student body and public awestruck. Sparkles galore, snazzy suits, and bow ties – it may not seem like that much work, but one look outside the call board and you may be shocked to see just how many hours the cast is at school. However, does all this come with a price? A price that may make people think twice about participating in musical each year.

Even chorus members (who do not have a major part) practice vocals twice a week and dance once or twice a week. As it gets later into the process, and songs and dance routines are under the belt, afternoons are spent in the auditorium blocking scenes on the stage, and this is just for a chorus part. If you manage to survive through the multiple call backs- this year it was all of three- and are given a lead, or in musical terms a principle part, then you can expect work on the weekends belting out notes for your solos in the show and dance steps being drilled over and over until you could do then in your sleep. So the question is, does all this really affect your grades?

“It depends, while I realize that musical is an extra curricular I therefore try and maintain a distance between my academics and musical, and not let them interfere at all, it is very difficult” says Christin Howard, a junior this year who had the part of an angle, one of Reno Sweeny’s show girls. While 65% of cast members said they spent an average of 3-4 hours working on homework each night an overwhelming amount said that third quarter they did see a slight change in grades. However as Haley Barbieri, the co-production stage manager, a sophomore this year, pointed out, “If they [grades] went down a little in some classes I think it was because it’s the third quarter and it’s that point in the school year where everyone’s been in school since September and is getting antsy for the nice weather”

“I do think grades are effected by the musical, although I think that students usually don’t use their down-time in musical to do homework because they’d rather hang out with their friends that are right there”said Haley Barbieri co-production stage manager of this years musical.

Joey LaBrasca, a freshman who happened to snag the leading male role, Billy Crocker a broken down stockbroker, said, “ No, my grades have stayed the same but yes I think some people’s grades are affected”. So, while it may in the end come down to the grade your currently in therefore how much homework you have, the part you play in the show, or just how well you can organize your time, when asked if there is a price to pay and if musical is worth participating in each year it was all around yes.

• Does Participating in Musical Come at a Price? Is the intense rehearsal schedule too much and a cause for student’s grades to drop?

Breaking News

On Display in the Library

Breaking News

One Page at a Time

Breaking News

Principal Marianne Young Retiring

Local News

11 Questions with Emma Wilber

• Breaking News

Civics’ Students Mock Accident Rescheduled

Local News

Q&A with Molly Stephen

Editorials

A Bittersweet Ending

Arts & Entertainment

Q & A with Elinor Cherin

• Breaking News

The Eastern Conference Finals

• Local News

The Hunt for the hardware