Slamming into the tennis season

A look inside the boys’ tennis team

Kadin Shafiroff serves it up

Kadin Shafiroff serves it up

Photo credit: The Berkshire Eagle

Photo credit: The Berkshire Eagle

Kadin Shafiroff serves it up

John Mack, Maroon Tribune Reporter

As spring draws near, it is time to take a deeper look into the boys tennis team. There are high expectations for both teams after having successful seasons last year. Will the boys team be able to perform as well as they did last year?

Last season, the boys team had twelve players and one goal: to win western Mass. After losing in the semi-finals, this year the boys team will be more than ready to win Western Mass. This season three of the seven starters are seniors; Jack White, Alec Goffin, and Kevin Costello will be playing their last season for the Monument boys tennis team. These seniors want to  bring back the glory of winning a championship to Monument. Alec Goffin, a senior and captain of the team, is really looking forward to the upcoming season. “Yeah, this season is a pretty big deal for me and the entire team. If the team goes out with the same tenacity as we did last year, then we have a decent chance at winning western Mass, and maybe having a good run in States.” The senior hopes to recapture some of the team’s past glory. “The last time the boys team won a western Mass tournament was my freshman year [2014] and last year we were so close to the final, but we just choked and got knocked out in the the semi-finals. It would mean so much for the team and myself if we were able to win Western Mass this year,” he added. This season will mean a lot to the entire tennis team, and they are eager to prove how good they can be.

The returning players bring skill, leadership, and competitiveness to the team. Kadin Shafiroff brings great topspin, and a great serve to the table and has been a key player for the team. As a junior he has been a number one singles player since his freshman year. Last season, he went undefeated and is hoping to do the same this year. Kevin Costello, a senior, brings a lot to the table as well. He has great speed and is able to beat his opponent with topspin and lobs. Jack White, a top doubles player has both great strength and height. He’s hard to beat in the air, and his slam is deadly.

Howie Arkans, a retired pediatrician, is also a new addition to the team. As the former coach of the boys team, he is making a strong return to the team, and is looking forward to the challenge. These returning players and coach will add strength to the team and help them win western Mass.

As spring approaches, the boys’
tennis team will be playing every match like it is their last. Let’s slam our way into the tennis season and make Monument history!

• Slamming into the tennis season

Arts & Entertainment

Weather With Dr. Walsh

• Berkshires & Beyond

“Trumpcare” 101

• Breaking News

And then there were four

• Slamming into the tennis season

Arts & Entertainment

P&E Class Withstands Cold Temperatures

• Slamming into the tennis season

Breaking News

Seniors Push Through Senioritis to Get Ready for AP Calc Test

• Editorials

iPhone’s Short Existence

• Slamming into the tennis season

Berkshires & Beyond

Straight to the Top

• Slamming into the tennis season

Arts & Entertainment

Monument Falls to Hampshire

• Breaking News

DOW Surpasses 20K

• Berkshires & Beyond

Boy Scouts Announce Controversial New Policy

Slamming into the tennis season