If You’re Reading This, It’s Not Too Late: The best and worst albums of February are revealed.

Julien McKee, Entertainment Editor

This month, the Maroon Tribune entertainment section brings readers a new section by the name of “If You’re Reading This It’s Not Too Late.” This will be a monthly column, giving readers a recap of the music released in the month.  The first installment is right below!

The Winner: Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti

iTunes Price: $15.99

Must Buy Songs: “Kashmir,” “In My Time of Dying,” “Trampled Under Foot.”

Songs You Need to Avoid: There actually are none.

Genre: Rock, Metal.

Overall Analysis:  With this album, the legendary band has a huge hit.  “Kashmir” and “Trampled Under Foot” have intoxicating rhythms, and the blues “In My Time of Dying” will be a hit as well without a doubt.  This is a must buy for any fan of music.

Rating: 9.5/10

The Runner-Up: Drake, If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late

iTunes Price: $12.99

Must Buy Songs: “10 Bands,” “Used To,” “You & The 6,” “6PM In New York.”

Songs You Need to Avoid: “Preach,” “Star67.”

Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap, R&B.

Overall Analysis:  After his release last fall, Nothing Was The Same, Drake solidified his position as one of the top Hip-Hop artists. He only backs up his position on this new record.  The beats and choruses on songs such as “10 Bands” and “Used To” are intoxicating.  The lyrics on “You & The 6” and “6PM In New York” are mind blowing.  Pay extra attention to the lyrics on “You & The 6,” as Drake has an awesome one-sided conversation with his mother. However, “Preach” has an absolutely awful feature by R&B wannabe PARTYNEXTDOOR (Yes, that’s actually his name), to go along with pedestrian lyrics.  The beat of “Star67” is underwhelming, and so are its lyrics.  Overall, this album is the second best Hip-Hop album of the year so far (Next to J. Cole’s 2014 Forest Hills Drive), and for that reason it deserves a listen.

Rating: 7.8/10

Third Place: Kid Rock, First Kiss

iTunes Price: $9.99

Must Buy Songs: “First Kiss,” “Jesus and Bocephus,” “Johnny Cash.”

Songs You Need to Avoid: “FOAD” and “Say Goodbye.”

Genre: Rock (I guess they don’t call him Kid Rock for nothing), Country, Blues.

Overall Analysis: Rock starts out First Kiss with the title track, which is a bit of a throwback to the days of Tom Petty and Bob Seger. And for diehard fans of Rock music, take a listen to “Johnny Cash” as you will not be disappointed.  However, this album takes an early turn from the tones of Hard Rock to country.  It’s a change that I did not enjoy, because I hate country music with a passion.  There are still some gems left in the album such as “Jesus and Bocephus,” but you must sort through a lot of country rubble in order to find these gems.  In all, this album is for the fan of Hard Rock and Country Music, and those genres especially only; these fans will not be disappointed.

Rating: 5.5/10

However, there was also a darker side to this month’s releases.  Check out the worst three of the month down below.

Third Place: Big Sean, Dark Sky Paradise

iTunes Price: $13.99

Must Buy Songs: “IDFWU,” “Blessings,”

Songs You Need to Avoid: “Win Some, Lose Some,” “Play Games,” “I Know,” “Dark Sky.”

Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap.

Overall Analysis:  This is just not Big Sean’s best work. Period.  The Chicago MC has two hits in “IDFWU,” and “Blessings.”  However, these two songs are only good because of the features that they have.  “IDFWU” features legendary Oakland rapper E-40, and “Blessings” features the aforementioned Drake.  These are the only two highlights of a seriously pedestrian effort by Big Sean.  R&B crooners Chris Brown and Ty Dolla $ign butcher “Play Games,” and Big Sean and soul singer Jhene Aiko do not work well together on “I Know.”  Sean’s rhymes are lackluster on “Win Some, Lose Some” as his constant and sometimes groan-worthy puns get old somewhat quickly.  In “Win Some, Lose Some” he spits “Getting dressed up for court, that’s a lawsuit.” Uggghhh.  At the end of of the day, this album has its ups and downs, which both are pretty drastic.

Final Rating: 5.2/10

The Runner-Up: Imagine Dragons, Smoke + Mirrors

iTunes Price: $11.99

Must Buy Songs: “Smoke and Mirrors,” “I’m So Sorry.”

Songs You Need to Avoid:  “It Comes Back to You”, “Dream,” “Gold,” “Shots.”

Genre: Rock, Alternative.

Overall Analysis:  In 2012, Imagine Dragons released their debut album, Night Visions, which went multiplatinum.  They also quickly became one of the most well-known bands in the world, due to their huge hit “Radioactive.”  However, Smoke + Mirrors is not in the same stratosphere as far as quality as Night Visions was. “Shots” and “Friction” sound like dance music, which is not the style of the Imagine Dragons.  And in “Gold,” the lead singer Dan Reynolds sounds like he’s trying to copy Drake’s voice.  It doesn’t work.  After this effort, Imagine Dragons needs to seriously regroup.

Raing: 3.1/10

The Worst of the Worst Chris Brown & Tyga, Fan of A Fan

iTunes Price: $13.99

Must Buy Songs: “Ayo.”

Songs You Need to Avoid: Everything Else.  I am not kidding.

Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap, R&B.

Overall Analysis:  R&B bad boy Chris Brown and wannabe bad boy rapper Tyga collaborate on Fan of A Fan.  This is not the first collaboration between the two imbeciles, as they produced the smash hit of the summer in “Loyal.”  The problem in Fan of A Fan is simple; all the songs sound the same.  Each one has the same or similar bass sequence, as well as nearly identical drum sequences.  The lyrics are flat-out stupid, as the two have the combined lyrical ability of an intoxicated five year old.  They only talk about money and girls, and committing seriously pornographic acts on them. It gets kind of weird when listening to this stuff with other people.  And the only reason I listed “Ayo” as a song to get is that it sounds just like “Loyal” in the first place.  After this effort, Chris Brown and Tyga need to take a very long vacation overseas, kind of like Michael Corleone did in The Godfather (By the way, I would actually bet anyone $100 dollars that Al Pacino can rap better than these two).

Rating: 0.8/10

• If You’re Reading This, It’s Not Too Late: The best and worst albums of February are revealed.

Breaking News

On Display in the Library

Breaking News

One Page at a Time

Breaking News

Principal Marianne Young Retiring

Local News

11 Questions with Emma Wilber

• Breaking News

Civics’ Students Mock Accident Rescheduled

Local News

Q&A with Molly Stephen

Editorials

A Bittersweet Ending

Arts & Entertainment

Q & A with Elinor Cherin

• Breaking News

The Eastern Conference Finals

• Local News

The Hunt for the hardware