Review of Room: The perfect blend of a powerful storyline with flawless acting

Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay star in "Room." (Ruth Hurl/Element Pictures)

TNS

TNS

Brianna Davis, Maroon Tribune Reporter

By Brianna Davis

Cast: Brie Larson, Jacob Trembly, Joan Allen, Tom McCamus, and William H. Macy

Rated: R

Synopsis:

A young woman, Joy (Brie Larson), is held captive along with her five-year-old son, Jack (Jacob Trembly), in a small shed they call “Room”. Joy plans their escape from the enclosed space and the man who has kept them imprisoned as she watches her son experience the outside world for the first time.

Review:

Room, an emotional and psychologically complex story, is frighteningly realistic. The movie is an adaptation of Emma Donoghue’s best selling novel that was loosely based on similar real life events. Instead of focusing on the crimes and terrible inhumanity of the man keeping them hostage, the film explores and emphasizes the strong bond between the mother and her child and their ability to find happiness in the darkest and smallest of places.

The cinematic tools and techniques director Lenny Abrahamson used to make the film create a strong empathetic bond between the characters and the audience. Significant portions of the film are shot as though the viewer is looking through the character’s eyes, experiencing their own points of views. The first half of the movie is filmed solely within the room making you feel a little bit claustrophobic and cut off from the mysterious outside world. When Jack first escapes from the “Room”, the viewer experiences this overwhelming and seemingly strange environment with him.

Since there are only two main characters in the film (Joy and Jack), the acting had to be exceptional -and it was. Brie Larson and Jacob Trembly both did a phenomenal job of portraying the mother and son, respectively. Larson’s ability to express the complex emotions experienced by her character was flawless, as was Trembly’s ability to convey Jack’s sentiment towards leaving “Room”. The actors and actresses perfectly expressed the psychologically diverse emotions of their characters who experience a horrific crime.
Room is a well constructed film that takes its viewers on an intensely emotional journey. The powerful relationship between a mother and her child transcends the dehumanizing situation in which they are forced to live.

• Review of Room: The perfect blend of a powerful storyline with flawless acting

Breaking News

On Display in the Library

Breaking News

One Page at a Time

Breaking News

Principal Marianne Young Retiring

Local News

11 Questions with Emma Wilber

• Breaking News

Civics’ Students Mock Accident Rescheduled

Local News

Q&A with Molly Stephen

Editorials

A Bittersweet Ending

Arts & Entertainment

Q & A with Elinor Cherin

• Breaking News

The Eastern Conference Finals

• Local News

The Hunt for the hardware