Advanced Drama’s Monty Python and the Holy Grail: A Successful Quest

Monument%27s+advanced+drama+class+takes+the+stage+in+their+performance+of+Monty+Python+and+the+Holy+Grail+
Monument's advanced drama class takes the stage in their performance of Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Samie Mitchell, Maroon Tribune Reporter

By Samie Mitchell, reporter

GREAT BARRINGTON: Around 100 people—mostly parents and family members, but also a good number of students—filed into the MMRHS auditorium at 7PM on Wednesday, January 20th. It was a big crowd, considering it was a Wednesday and the show they were about to see wasn’t a big-name Monument production. Nonetheless, everyone was there to support the students in Advanced Drama, and were intrigued to see how they tackled Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Each semester, the Advanced Drama class culminates in two performances of a show they worked on for three months. The first semester of the 2015-2016 school year started no differently, until one student suggested they go an alternate route than their typical style of show. Their suggestion was doing a stage adaptation of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, a show that required ad-libbing, comedic timing, and an immense amount of stage partner cooperation. It was going to be a challenge to pull it off, but the underclassmen-heavy group took it on.

The show started with the same opening credits as the original movie that were adapted to the Monument cast. They had everyone in fits of laughter, and by the time the curtain rose, you knew it was going to be a good show. As the play progressed, following the journeys of King Arthur and his four knights of the square—round, sir—right, round table as they sought the Holy Grail, the actors settled into their roles.

Over the course of the two-hour first act, the actors became visibly more comfortable with their production. Their timing became quicker, and their delivery more confident. Though the transitions were prolonged and line/light/sound cues were not always picked up, the cast kept their cool…most of the time. With a show as comical and on point as any of the Monty Python’s, it’s hard to keep a straight face. So when halfway through the show two actors broke down laughing on stage, it didn’t take away from the performance, but added to the composition of the show.

Even though the production stuck heavily to the ad-libbed script of the original, the cast seemed to make the show their own. They added their own personality to their characters, and any audience member could see that they were enjoying putting on the show.

As explained by Jolyn Unruh, the Advanced Drama teacher, the cast only had around 40 classroom hours to pull the show together, whereas the spring musical or Fall Festival of Shakespeare show has at least twice that. This explained the awkward set difficulties and the prolonged transitions, and added to the respect and amazement I felt toward the cast and crew of the show.
Advanced Drama’s Monty Python and the Holy Grail was by far among the top shows I’ve seen at Monument. There was an incredible sense of community amongst the actors—especially when cast members filled in for their sick counterparts—and the show was well worth the two and a half hours. Even if the knights of the round table didn’t find the Holy Grail, they certainly made their hilarious journey worth the watch.

• Advanced Drama’s Monty Python and the Holy Grail: A Successful Quest

Breaking News

On Display in the Library

Breaking News

One Page at a Time

Breaking News

Principal Marianne Young Retiring

Local News

11 Questions with Emma Wilber

• Breaking News

Civics’ Students Mock Accident Rescheduled

Local News

Q&A with Molly Stephen

Editorials

A Bittersweet Ending

Arts & Entertainment

Q & A with Elinor Cherin

• Breaking News

The Eastern Conference Finals

• Local News

The Hunt for the hardware