2016 Halloween Window Painting Winners Announced

Great Barrington celebrates Halloween by lining the windows with student art

Matt Weston, Editor

On Thursday, two busloads of Monument Mountain students traveled to Great Barrington to participate in the annual Halloween window painting contest. Each year students hang up about 50 works to be displayed in storefronts along Main Street.  Students submit their ideas before being approved by the three art teachers.  The winners get the chance to travel to town for the day and work on each of their pieces, and some even have the opportunity to bring an assistant with them.  

Every group brings a plate and watercolors to a storefront’s window.  Many of the artists decide to sketch their work out before they begin painting..  The artists, who are from three schools– Monument, Monument Valley, and Rudolf Steiner– all competed in the Rotary sponsored event. Cash prizes were given out to the winners.  

dsc_3842

Sophia Smith works on her piece that took home the grand prize.

Grand Prize went to Sophia Smith, whose art is displayed on Dave Gavin’s window.  Monument’s winners are as follows: Sophie Shron, first prize, Tagan Munday, second prize, Braedon Rombach, third prize, Automn Duke, honorable mention, Lovina Campetti, honorable mention, and Helen Pajeski, political satire.

“Window painting in town shows the character the Berkshires contains,” junior Ethan Mazursky explained.  “When I moved here and ended my first freshman year I did the painting and I felt like it was very welcoming and the town is open and supportive of the school. I think it’s really awesome how the community does that,” sophomore Rosie Tufts added.  

This weekend will be the last chance before Halloween to stroll down the street and view the communal art on display.