Coming Soon: Running Club

Running enthusiasts launch new club

Matt Walsh, Maroon Tribune Editor

Are you looking for a new hobby? Or some friends? Or simply trying to lose some weight? The Running Club might be just the thing for you.

This winter, Monument’s Allison Kinne and Maeven Broderick will turn a small idea into a reality. “I love running, and since I didn’t do a winter sport last year, I wanted something for kids like me,” stated Kinne. The two friends originally came up with the idea this past spring. “There isn’t a program to get ready for track season, so I think it would be a good idea to get people ready,” added Broderick.

Right now the club is in the early stages of development. The first official meeting was Thursday, December 8th. “After today’s sign up, we have around 27 people interested,” Kinne said. As of now, the club is not technically affiliated with the school. “We have three faculty advisors, but we still have to run the idea by Mrs. Young,” stated Kinne.

“I want to introduce running as a sport to people who are new,” said Broderick, a captain of both the cross country and track teams. In addition to running, Broderick and Kinne are looking to get something more out of the club. “We want to bring people together and have a lot of fun while getting in shape,” Kinne added.

The club is planning on meeting a few times a week throughout the winter. “We will determine the days based on people’s schedules,” said Kinne. Broderick, an experienced distance runner, will lead a group with more of a focus on long distance running. “We will probably sign up for a few 5k races,” she stated. Kinne, a school record holding sprinter, will have her own group that will dedicate their time to improving short distance running. “We will have a little of everything,” Kinne joked.

Broderick and Kinne encourage everyone to join. “Join, definitely. If you’re thinking about it, just do it,” stated Kinne. “There will be a lot of beginners, but they shouldn’t be afraid of trying something new,” added Broderick.

The next informational meeting will be Friday, December 9th after school in the Senior Center.

• Coming Soon: Running Club

Breaking News

On Display in the Library

• Coming Soon: Running Club

Breaking News

One Page at a Time

• Coming Soon: Running Club

Breaking News

Principal Marianne Young Retiring

• Coming Soon: Running Club

Local News

11 Questions with Emma Wilber

• Breaking News

Civics’ Students Mock Accident Rescheduled

• Coming Soon: Running Club

Local News

Q&A with Molly Stephen

• Coming Soon: Running Club

Editorials

A Bittersweet Ending

• Coming Soon: Running Club

Arts & Entertainment

Q & A with Elinor Cherin

• Breaking News

The Eastern Conference Finals

• Local News

The Hunt for the hardware

Coming Soon: Running Club