Rubik’s Cube Competition

It’s Not a Hobby, It’s a Way of Life

Yasamin Moeini, Maroon Tribune Reporter

On January 28th, Monument hosted an official Rubik’s Cube competition in the school’s cafeteria.

The competition was held as a fundraiser for the senior class, who are still struggling to raise funds for their prom and class trip. As a last effort to boost their funds, senior class secretary Kevin Costello came up with the bright idea of hosting the competition, which he knew could garner some attention.

Costello has been an avid cuber since he was very young. He first took interest in the art of cubing because he enjoyed the challenge. “I liked being able to figure out something that a lot of people think is impossible,” he stated. After years of practicing and competing in competitions country wide, Costello now holds various North American records. He thought it would be a good idea to host the competition because he knows from past experience that many people travel to compete and that it is taken very seriously by some of the best cubers.

The cost to compete was set at $20 per person. Competitors came from all over America, Nigeria, India, and China to Monument Mountain Regional High School, to show off their cubing skills. The total number of competitors tallied 121, and registration had to be cut off at that point to make sure everyone could fit into Monument’s small cafeteria. For nine hours, they battled it out in the 2×2, 3×3, 4×4, 5×5, OH (one handed), and pyraminx.

At midday there was a lunch break where everyone ate some pizza and relaxed for a bit before the next competitions. At around 5:30 the whole event wrapped up with the awards ceremony. Costello, of course, won all of the events in which he competed.

The Rubik’s Cube was first invented in 1974 by Hungarian sculptor and professor of architecture Ernő Rubik. In the beginning, it was a challenge trying to get the correct design. It was a popular toy in the 80’s and many people were initially fascinated by its design, but as the years passed it became less and less of something to do for fun and more of a puzzle that couldn’t seemed to be solved. It wasn’t until the early 2000’s that the World Cube Association was set up, and cubing became competitive.

Rubik’s Cube Competition