Glory and Change

Nation looks to local high school for new hope

Owen McCarter, Maroon Tribune Reporter

Monument Mountain Regional High school stands out as a pinnacle of education in the Berkshires. The school has achieved considerable respect in academic prowess and has developed a formidable athletic renown over the years. If you were to walk into the school on a Monday morning, you would be greeted by halls lined with trophies and filled with countless budding intellectuals. However, when this oasis of learning is mentioned you will not hear of their accomplishments, but the modest welcoming community that so many call home.

It comes as no surprise that in the wake of the presidential inauguration Monument was the first to implement restructuring and design work for improving academic excellence. Blueprints were drawn and after being reviewed at a town meeting in late January the plans were approved. Construction will begin in June and the Wall should be finished before the coming school year.

The Wall will separate the A wing from the rest of the building; however, students with the proper GPA and Green Card will be allowed to proceed through checkpoints to the academic wings. “This will prevent art and auto students from contaminating the highly developed educational system we have in place here,” stated the Assistant Principal of MMRHS, Scott Annand.

After leaked pictures of the blueprints surfaced on Twitter architect Henry Vanderbilt, the lead designer of the Wall, was approached by both Mount Greylock and Wahconah Regional High School with requests for future designs. During an interview with The Berkshire Eagle Vanderbilt commented, “As time passes and the news spreads more and more schools have come to me hoping to follow in Monument’s footsteps.” He continued, “It seems the entire nation is now watching our small town with new found hope for the public education system.”  As the U.S waits, Berkshire County is abuzz, proudly watching the improvements at Monument commence.

Glory and Change