Home Away From Home

Emily Rada, Maroon Tribune Editor

“Welcome to the Class of 2021!” As the final months of senior year fly by, more and more seniors are receiving their acceptance letters to school.

Every year after May 1st the Monument Mountain Library bulletin board is decorated with a map of the United States. When the final days for the seniors tick by in the spring, students are encouraged to announce where they will be attending school in the fall via the “College Board”. The idea of this College Board originated as a way to continue to broadcast the “journey of our students to the rest of the school,” Monument Mountain’s librarian, Kara Staunton, stated. May 1st is the date that most students make their final decisions and send in their housing deposits, but some students commit earlier than this date. These students include the athletes who have committed to a school and the select few who have chosen to do Early Decision.

As of right now we have 16 seniors on record who have made decisions. This includes seven students committed because of sports and nine students who have committed through early decision. Early decision (ED) is a promise to the select school that you will attend no matter what.  Molly Stephen, who applied early decision to George Washington University, said that the scariest part of applying early decision is that, “You have to go to that one place. Even if they don’t give you a enough financial aid, you still have to go there. Also, if you think that you might like another school, you can’t consider going anywhere else.”

Where you are going to college is a big deal for most. You have to find the right class size, a campus that is appealing, and the appropriate curriculum for whatever it is you choose to study. As the spring season approaches we will start to hear more about where people are headed and why they chose one school over another.

Home Away From Home