Monument vs. Millionaires

Rivals face-off for the second time this season.

Emily Rada, Maroon Tribune Reporter

It was 52 degrees and partly cloudy on a Wednesday afternoon. At 3:00 the Monument girls tennis team took to the courts to warm-up for their big match against long-time rivals, the Lenox Millionaires. For years the Millionaires have been the #1 rivals of the Spartans. Especially in girls tennis, this rivalry is at an all-time high. In the past these two teams have battled it out and at times both have come out victorious.

On Wednesday, the Spartans came out on top. With the final score of the match at 3-2, the Spartans had defeated the Millionaires for the second and last time this season. This match was a bit different though. Due to an injury, the Spartans were down their #1 singles player Hailey Higgins. This meant that they would have to shift all of their players up one spot to accommodate the loss.  The new line-up was as follows: Gabby DeFelice at #1 Singles, Ava Guidette at #2 Singles, Lexi Shumsky at #3 Singles, Emily Rada and Dani DeFelice at #1 Doubles, and Olivia Jaffe and Hannah Guarino at #2 Doubles.

The match started off strong with both doubles matches ending very quickly. Emily Rada and Dani DeFelice beat their opponents 6-2 6-1, and Olivia Jaffe and Hannah Guarino beat their opponents 6-4 6-1. This put the match at 2-0 and a strong outlook for the Spartans. After the doubles matches ended, the crowd looked to the singles to determine who would win. Within 30 minutes of the doubles matches ending, #2 singles and #3 singles had ended; both wins going to the Millionaires.

The match was tied 2-2 when #1 Singles player Gabi DeFelice took to the court with opponent Victoria Vittori. This was the first time these two players had to face one another. In warm-ups the Spartans learned that Vittori had injured her knee in her match the previous day. This would be an advantage for DeFelice because Vittori wouldn’t be at her best. DeFelice used Vittori’s setback to her advantage to decisively win 6-4 6-1, which resulted in a team victory for the Spartans bringing their season record to 5-0.

• Monument vs. Millionaires

Breaking News

On Display in the Library

• Monument vs. Millionaires

Breaking News

One Page at a Time

• Monument vs. Millionaires

Breaking News

Principal Marianne Young Retiring

• Monument vs. Millionaires

Local News

11 Questions with Emma Wilber

• Breaking News

Civics’ Students Mock Accident Rescheduled

• Monument vs. Millionaires

Local News

Q&A with Molly Stephen

• Monument vs. Millionaires

Editorials

A Bittersweet Ending

• Monument vs. Millionaires

Arts & Entertainment

Q & A with Elinor Cherin

• Breaking News

The Eastern Conference Finals

• Local News

The Hunt for the hardware

Monument vs. Millionaires