A Bittersweet Ending

Class of 2017 feels a mix of emotions

Addie McLaughlin suffers through the last stretch of senior year

Brandon Louison, Maroon Tribune Reporter

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.” -Alexander Graham Bell

As the class of 2017 gets closer to their final day as high school students, seniors are feeling many different emotions. While most seniors have already developed the dreaded “senioritis,” all can agree that their high school careers have gone by too fast.

From the moment we walk through the doors of this school our freshman year, to the day we leave at the end of our senior year, we all have very different experiences. Each person has different friends and finds enjoyment through a variety of activities. Each high school student is unique, but we’ve all found ourselves growing and learning in one environment.

As we progress through our final year in this school, it is possible to sort out our emotions  into six different categories: excitement, sadness, anxiety, stress, happiness and relief.

Stress:

Although many seniors have only one or two classes a day, this year is definitely the most stressful year of high school. This year you have to begin applying for colleges. This process involves doing research on various schools, scheduling tours, writing college essays, emailing coaches or deans and choosing the path you want to follow for the rest of your life. Along with this comes the dreaded “senioritis.” Many seniors just want to be done with high school at this point. They want the work to end, so they just give up on school more and more each day. For many, finding the motivation to really work hard throughout the last year is nearly impossible. Grades begin to fall, teachers get mad and students get stressed about their missed work. All of these responsibilities can result in a very stressful senior year.

Excitement:

As we come into senior year there is a lot to be excited about. It’s the end to a long road, and the start to something brand new. By this time we’re all ready to leave this life behind and find ourselves at college over the next four years. Seniors are excited to have senior privileges and to experience the college life everyone is so anxious to begin. With every passing day, we feel more and more elation about leaving our school. We all want a change in the daily routine and an end to the high school classes, but along with the feeling of excitement comes the feeling of sadness.

Sadness:

While most seniors will only talk about how excited they are to leave and move onto college, many seniors also feel at least a little sad about leaving their friends, families and lives behind. When you go through high school you create bonds with many different people that you want to know for the rest of your life. As soon as you get to your senior year, you begin to realize that these bonds will most likely come to an end as we all move on to college. It’s very possible that people we grew up with and learned with may become complete strangers. This realization, coupled with the fact that we need to leave our families behind, can create real sadness in the hearts of the seniors. Unfortunately,  sadness can sometimes result in anxiety.

Anxiety:

When you consider the fact that your life is about to drastically change into something you have no idea about, you can develop some serious anxiety. You’re going into the great unknown, your parents aren’t there to help you succeed, your old friends are gone and you have to make completely new ones and learn how to live and work completely on your own. To some this may not sound terrible, but for many it creates at least some anxiety. Why wouldn’t it? Change is something that many people have always struggled with even on a small scale. But to have to completely change your life is something no one is fully prepared to do. Although it might be one of the most terrifying transitions in one’s life, most people find that it only takes them a couple weeks to become fully accustomed to their new lives.

Happiness & Relief:  

In the end,  we all want the change, even if it means giving up the familiar and dealing with the stress. We’re happy to be out of high school. We look forward for the opportunity to choose our own paths, to make new friends, and to be a part of something so much different than we have ever been used to. Most of all, we feel relief. We have our colleges picked out, our applications finished and our future plans solidified. We all are happy and relieved this process is over and look forward to our new lives.

• A Bittersweet Ending

Breaking News

On Display in the Library

• A Bittersweet Ending

Breaking News

One Page at a Time

• A Bittersweet Ending

Breaking News

Principal Marianne Young Retiring

• A Bittersweet Ending

Local News

11 Questions with Emma Wilber

• Breaking News

Civics’ Students Mock Accident Rescheduled

• A Bittersweet Ending

Local News

Q&A with Molly Stephen

• A Bittersweet Ending

Arts & Entertainment

Q & A with Elinor Cherin

• Breaking News

The Eastern Conference Finals

• Local News

The Hunt for the hardware

• A Bittersweet Ending

Arts & Entertainment

The Reasons Why Not to Watch 13 Reasons Why

A Bittersweet Ending